Located in the depths of the Eastern Ithmia, the forestal village of Eleusis was revealed by the dryad queen Titania to a group of Sentinels in the year 271 AF following Vixen's bout of illness. Eleusis is a naturally formed habitat in the Ithmia's treetops for the forestals of Sapience to call home.
The village of Eleusis was officially formed in the month of Daedalan, 324 years after the fall of the Seleucarian Empire, by Covenant Stormcrow, Tearstorm Le'Yuet, Riakar Nakanishi, Elsp Le'Yuet, and Mysti La'Saen. It is led by a council made up of seven Leath-ris (literally, "half-kings") who are elected by popular vote. From these seven, one leader is chosen to be the Speaker of Eleusis.
The Houses of The Sylvanic Fellowship, the Sentinels of Nature, and the Ancient Circle of Druids reside within the village.
Eleusis is guarded by Tsol'aa archers, Dryad enchantresses, Briar Knights, woodland rangers, eleusian elementalists, and Treekin warriors, as well as its Greater Eidolon, the Guardian of Thorns.
Laws and Policies
The laws of Eleusis are in the form of Precepts, which can be found written on a cairn stone at the entrance to the village.
Government and Political History
- 324 AF - Lady Demeter became the first Patron of Eleusis.
- 365 AF - Lord Aegis replaced Lady Demeter.
- 395 AF - Lady Kastalia replaced Lord Aegis.
- 432 AF - Lord Thoth replaced Lady Kastalia.
- 452 AF - Lady Artemis replaced Lady Kastalia.
- 506 AF - Lord Vastar replaced Lady Artemis.
- 525 AF - Lady Artemis replaced Lord Vastar.
- 591 AF - Lady Kastalia replaced Lady Artemis.
- 610 AF - Lady Artemis replaced Lady Kastalia.
- 619 AF - Lady Gaia replaced Lady Artemis.
Village Leaders - Speaker
- 324 AF - First Speaker: Covenant
- 356 AF - Tearstorm replaced Covenant as Speaker, Covenant stepped down.
- 387 AF - Greyda replaced Tearstorm as Speaker.
- 414 AF - Landon replaced Greyda as Speaker.
- 445 AF - Ravien replaced Landon as Speaker.
This small forestal village is rich with culture. It has grown immensely since adventurers started trampling through its branches just over a century ago, but still remains quaint and quiet, keeping its unique solitude.
The entire village is a landmark in itself. No other "city-state" and indeed, no other village can claim to be anything like it. Upon entering the village, you must trek up a spiralled staircase which will take you up a level into the trees. You walk along the tree branches for wherever you need to go, only ever seeing ground level again if you wish to visit the Sentinel or Sylvan Househalls, the Eleusian Fields and stables, or the Temple of the River on the Zaphar River. The Gaian Vale, Eleusis' subdivision, may be found near the river.
One may be inclined to visit Muria along the Oaken Way of Eleusis and hear her tales of Sentinel history. Central Hall in the Great Oak is the local meeting point of Eleusis. A great statue of Covenant Stormcrow, the first speaker of Eleusis, graces the hall, seemingly ready to come alive and belt out a yodel for all the world to hear. The Cauldron of Infinity can be found at the Tears of Eleusis, a permanent reminder of the War of the Divine Child (See also: City-relics). The Collosea en Duir, or "The Colosseum of the Oak" in common Achaean, is the Eleusian arena. This all-natural terrain arena can be found in the southwestern part of Eleusis.
Aside from the various guards found along the streets in Eleusis the following is a list of notable citizens worth mentioning:
- Aemilie, the Eleusian weaver
- Aeron, the Eleusian Whittler
- Aine, the Eleusian Sheriff
- Alianna, dryad apprentice to Aeron
- Amerante, the Eleusian Barkeep
- Anil-Gadith, Hostess of Oastan Eleusia
- Antion, the Basilisk
- Arixa Stormcrow
- Armond Longshanks
- Arscot, the Eleusian Baker
- Canntaireachd, Mistress of Revels
- Celede, the Serving Wench
- Cwincan, the Gaian Knight
- Daestin, the Eleusian merchant
- Dyyn, Oracle of the Elements
- Elias the Gatekeeper
- Ellie an iridescent cloud form
- Epona, Eleusian Ostler
- Faeore, Oracle of Seasons
- Grenden Blackthorne
- Iuchair, Eleusian Locksmith
- Khalys, Lady of Doves
- Lhaya, of the Raven Locks
- a little girl named Averan
- Mehrien, of Jaguar Black
- Miri, the Tea Mistress
- Muria of Eleusis
- Naylu, Oracle of Secrets
- Onakk, the Raven
- Semanthia the Merchant
- Taurelasse, the Eleusian Artist
- Tiah, of the Golden Hair
- Vamuria, the newspaper editor
- Vixen, the Wilderness Guide
These citizens are no longer found within the village:
- Ephialta, Keeper of the Flame (slain by a monstrous hydra)
- Nestor, Priest of the Zaphar (slain by a monstrous hydra)
The main facilities of Eleusis are located on the eastern side if the village, while the forge and stables can be found at the northern end of the fields, below the shopping district. Most of these services can be used by citizens and visitors alike.
- The Eleusian Archives - Newsroom.
- Lofty Aviary - Post office run by Khalys, the dove lady.
- The Eleusian Bank of Commerce - Bank.
- Blacksmith's workshop - Forge.
- Musty stables - Stables (can be used by Eleusians only) and mount food, run by Epona.
- Locksmith of Eleusis - Locksmith, run by Iuchair.
Eleusis is unique in that it has few adventurer-run shops. The Eleusians enjoy the quaint atmosphere of their village and do not want the haven ruined with such things. Several proud merchants provide for the village, including the weaver Aemilie and the merchants Daestin and Semanthia.
- Art of the Wilds
- Wooden statuettes by Aemilie, the Eleusian weaver
- A Cluttered Atelier
- Silver creations by Taurelasse, the Eleusian Artist
- The Eleusian Inn
- Amerante, the Eleusian Barkeep, sells food and drinks here
- The Eleusian Trading Post
- Eleusian Woodcrafts
- Wood vials, pots, and pipes by Aeron, the Eleusian Whittler
- Farmer's Market at a Mill
- Day to day goods
- Forestal Whispers of Romance
- Aemilie's forestal wedding catering
- Silver Threads
- Crafted forestal goods by Aemilie
- Straif is Echtra
- Literally meaning Blackthorne Adventures and named after an old Eleusian family. The stationery shop providing candles, journals, and letters
- Sugar and Spice
- Teas in several flavours by Miri, the Tea Mistress
- Sylvan Colours
- Basic vials, inks, and sigils
- Within a small reed shed
- Bait shop
- Ye Olde Bake Shop
- Muffins, donuts, and more, created by Arscot, the Eleusian Baker
Additionally, food for steeds can be purchased from Epona, Eleusian Cibeir.
Dining and Recreation
Eleusis has several unique eateries that have regular visitors to the village coming back for more.
- The Eleusian Inn - Operated by Amerante who supplies the village with a range of basics foods and fine forestal beverages.
- Oastan Eleusia - Hosted by Anil-Gadith, this forestal restaurant is sure to please! Celede and Canntaireachd provide service and music, respectively.
- Sugar and Spice - The Eleusian Tea shop, run by Miss Miri, the Tea Mistress, and her daughters, Averan, Lhaya, and Tiah.
- Ye Olde Bake Shoppe - Arscot, The Eleusian baker, runs this unique bakery by Miss Miri's tea shop. Buy a donut, a tart, or anything else to go with that perfect cup of tea!
Stationed at the entrance to the village is Elias, the gatekeeper, while Sir Cwincan, the Gaian Knight, diligently patrols the verdant walkways. Vamuria, the newspaper editor, roams the city, gathering the news of the day.